5 Best Wood Burning Tools & Pyrography Pen Kits 2020 – Top Picks & Reviews
Pyrographers all over the world are creating increasingly beautiful art. While it’s an art that requires skill to produce high-quality products, it’s one that’s quickly picked up, as long as you have the right equipment. If you’re looking to upgrade your equipment or looking to buy a kit for the first time, you’ve come to the right place.
The online shopping experience can leave you knowing less about the products in question than when you started, but we want to take as much stress out of the experience as we can. Our reviews are designed to show you the good and the bad on each model so that you can find the one which fits your needs at a price that you’re sure to love.
Comparison List (Last updated: 2020):
|Best Overall||TRUArt Stage Professional Burning Kit||
|Razertip Dual Burner||
|TRUArt Wood & Leather Pyrography||
|Best for Beginners||Walnut Hollow 5570||
|Darice Woodburning Creativity Set||
The 5 Best Wood Burning Tools & Kits:
1. TRUArt Woodburning Tool Kit – Best Overall
The TRUArt Stage Professional Woodburning Burning Kit is the one you’ll want to get if you’re serious about doing woodburning and want to get a kit that will expand what you can do. It comes with incredibly precise heat control. It also comes with an ergonomic pen, which feels good in your hand, and keeps you close enough to your work to help you maintain clean lines. The tip changes are also very fast on this model, which is great for people who will be using lots of different tips in the same project. This is made possible by a mix of great tip design and rapid tip cooldown.
That makes this kit one of the best on the market for people who want to be able to do precision work quickly, at a low price. It also comes with 20 tips. Some people like them a lot, while more experienced users will want to change them out. Overall, there’s a ton of value to be had in this kit, especially if you don’t mind changing out the tips for better ones. However, if you’re an amateur, you should be happy with the value this kit provides for the price.
2. Razertip Dual Wood Burning Pen
The Razertip Dual Burner with Large Skew Pen is the model you’ll want to get if you’re looking for a premium, hassle-free experience. This model has some of the best low-end temperature control on the market, which gives users an extra level of control that most other models can’t give you. It also comes with the option of plugging in two burners at once. You can switch between them with the touch of a switch, and they heat so quickly that many users report just a few seconds of downtime while switching their kit out. That fast temperature change pays even more dividends, as you can switch out tips on the interchangeable pen in record time.
That makes this particular model great for people who make their own tips. While Razertip has a wide selection of great tips, many advanced wood burners start making their own to save money and get the exact shape they want. Since you can change out tips so quickly and easily on this model, it’s great for those people. The only thing that keeps this great kit out of first place is that it costs nearly 50 percent more than our top model.
3. TRUArt Wood & Leather Pyrography Pen Set – Best Value
If you’re looking to expand what you can do with your pyrography equipment, you can go wrong with this set, which comes with 35 different pieces, including tips and stamps. These are made from brass, which is great at transferring heat, and include stamps, which allow you to quickly create common shapes with a single touch. Also included is a stencil, which will allow you to quickly create lettering and numbers without having to plan the shapes yourself. It also comes with great directions and tips, so you can maximize your use of these tips in a safe manner which will extend their life.
You can also get this kit at an incredible kit, making it the best for the money on our list. If you want to upgrade what you can do and already own a burner tool, then you can’t go wrong with the addition of these tips and stamps to your collection. What ultimately keeps this model out of the top two is that it doesn’t include a burner tool, which is reasonable given the price. While it’s not something which beginners should buy, it makes a great addition to any established pyrographer’s collection.
4. Walnut Hollow 5570 Wood Burning Tool – Best for Beginners
The Walnut Hollow 5570 is a great choice for beginning pyrographers. The best thing about it is its very low price. That means you can try it out without worrying about committing too much of your money to the endeavor. It also comes with four interchangeable tips, so you won’t be too limited in what you can do, even though this is otherwise a kit for beginners. It also comes with a tool stand, so you’ll have a place to rest the pen while it’s not in use, and it won’t damage any of your furniture by accident. This model only comes with one temperature, but the good news is that it only has to heat to that one temperature, so it gets there quickly and maintains it very well.
However, this model only achieves one temperature, which isn’t enough to give you a full range of options when working. It’s also not the most durable wood burning tool on the market. You should get a few years of use out of it, but it won’t last forever. Given the price, it’s still a good tool for beginners, but experts will want more out of their purchase.
5. Darice Wood-burning Pen Set
The Darice Woodburning Creativity Set is another set that has the potential to be a good set for beginners. It comes with four tips, so you’ll be able to work on different kinds of projects and use different techniques inside the same project. It’s also available at a price low enough that you won’t feel like you’re out an arm and a leg when you buy this kit. However, like the previous model, this model only comes with one temperature. That limits what you can do with this wood burner.
It also has poor durability. It seems to be worse than the previous model on our list. At most, you should expect a year or two of use, and less if you end up using this model frequently. The included tips also aren’t the best you can find on the market, and will sometimes warp under their own heat, rendering them useless. Overall, there are a lot of better choices on the market today, and most people would be better off with a kit that gave them better quality and durability. Even though this kit is cheap, it’s going to leave most people unhappy with their purchase.
Now that you have some good options in mind for a tool burning kit, we also wanted to walk you through some other important features. No two sets are the same just as no two wood-burning designs are the same. If you are just starting as a pyrography artist, you will want to consider these things.
When picking out your first wood burning kit, there are some essential features you will want your equipment to have. Take a look at these shopping tips, so you can get the most out of your purchase.
- Ease Of Use: If you have ever experienced a hand cramp from writing, you already know where we are going with this! When picking out a wood-burning pen, you want to look for one that has an ergonomic handle. One that is comfortable will allow you to work longer, and reduce the likelihood of making any errors. There are all kinds of grips you can choose from, so the chances are great that you will find one that is comfortable for your hand.
- Weight: Weight ties right in with comfort. Some pens are heavier than others, and when you add tips or stamps to them, the weight can add up quickly. Although a small tool such as this may not seem too heavy, after time, your hands and wrists will feel the fatigue.
- On/Off Switch: This is an important aspect of a wood-burning pen. Some models do not come equipped with a power switch which means it will get hot as soon as you plug it in. Having an on and off switch will allow you more control, and it reduces the chances of getting a burn.
- Temperature Control: Another feature to be on the lookout for is temp control. Some tips and designs require different heating settings. You will notice that the heat can make a big difference in the outcome of your project. Being able to control the heat is important.
- Tool Stand: A stand is an accessory you want to have with your kit. This will allow you to place the wood burner down while it is still hot without burning the surface you are working on. It also keeps you from having to turn the tool on and off as you work on your design.
- Heat Time: A convenient feature of a wood-burning tool is a quick heat time. Some of these pens heat up within a few minutes whiles others can be as quick as 30-seconds.
- Cool-down Time: Like heat-up time, the amount of time it takes for the pen and tips to cool down is also important. The faster they do so, the less likely you will make mistakes on your project or hurt yourself by accident. Not only that, but they are safer if you have kids or animals in the home.
- Various Tips: When looking at wood burning kits, you want to look for one that has a variety of tips. Each tip will give you a different look and design. Not only that, but some kits offer stamps and stencils, as well, to further customize your work; which bring us to our next subject.
The TRUArt Stage Professional Woodburning Burning Kit is our favorite kit due to its precise heat control, ergonomic pen, and fast tip changes. In second is the Razertip Dual Burner with Large Skew Pen which comes with great low-end temperatures and the ability to plug in two pens at once but suffers from a high price. The TRUArt Wood and Leather Pyrography Pen Set is a great set to get if you’re looking to expand what you can do, as its 35 brass tips and stamps give you the option to do just about any task you can do with a wood burner. Since it’s so inexpensive, it’s the best overall kit for the money on our list. The Walnut Hollow 5570 is inexpensive and easily maintains a constant temperature, but lacks temperature controls, and has poor durability which means it can rise no higher than fourth place. In the last place is the Darice Woodburning Creativity Set which comes with four tips, but only has one temperature and has severe durability problems.
We hope that our reviews have helped guide you to the product which will leave you happy with your purchase, at a price you’ll love, too.
Posts that are like this one:
- We recently compared the most popular heat guns on the market. See our favorite here
- 5 Smart Uses For Your Heat Gun That You Probably Didn’t Know About
- Comparison List (Last updated: 2020):
- The 5 Best Wood Burning Tools & Kits:
- Buyer’s Guide
- Shopping Tips