WEN 4208 vs 4210 vs 4212 vs 4214: Which One’s Best?
|The Winner||WEN 4214||
|The Runner-up||WEN 4212||
|Best for Money||WEN 4208||
Think of this review as Family Feud meets Goldilocks. We pit the four models of the WEN bench-top drill press family against each other to see which one is too big, too small, or just right. With that image in mind, let’s get this show on the road.
WEN is a tool manufacturer that dates back to 1951, when its founders established the company to design and build quality tools at an affordable price. Its engineers are credited with many innovations, including the orbital mechanism most polishers use today.
WEN’s bench-top drill presses all reflect their quality and value heritage. There’s an option for anyone, from the 4208 for beginners and simple tasks to the 4214 for advanced users and small manufacturers. Which one is best for you depends upon where you fall within this spectrum. Regardless of your choice, all the models fulfill the original mission of the company: quality tools at an affordable price.
What are the differences between them?
The tables below list the specifications for each model, so you can compare them side-by-side.
|Feature/Specification||WEN 4208||WEN 4210||WEN 4212||WEN 4214|
|Motor VAC, A, HP||120VAC, 2.3A, 1/3||120VAC, 3.2A, 1/3||120VAC, 4.5A, 2/3||120VAC, 5A, 2/3|
|Speeds, RPM, Drive||5 (620, 1100, 1720, 2340, 3100), belt||5, (570, 900, 1390, 2050, 3050), belt||Continuous variable 530-3100, belt||Continuous variable 530-3100, belt|
|Table size, material||6-1/2” x 6-1/2”, cast iron||7-5/8” x 7-5/8”, cast iron||7-5/8” x 7-1/2”, cast iron||9-1/2” x 9-1/2”, cast iron, fence|
|Table bevel||Yes, 45o L/R||Yes, 45o L/R||Yes, 45o L/R||Yes, 45o L/R|
|Table vertical adjustment||Sliding||Rack & Pinion||Rack & Pinion||Rack & Pinion|
|Weight||35 pounds||58 pounds||70 pounds||95 pounds|
Power – Point goes to the 4214
In the “most power to get work done” category, the 4214 leads the family with its 5A, 2/3 HP induction motor. This is more than enough power to tackle hardwoods, steel, and aluminum. For advanced users and specific applications in small manufacturing processes, the 4214 will perform well.
Stock handling capacity – Point to the 4214
No contest here, as the 4214 provides the largest capacities in swing, drilling depth, and chuck size. To get more capacity than this drill press offers will mean looking at either floor models or more expensive bench-top alternatives.
Able to fit into small spaces – Point goes to the 4208
The compact 4208 is an ideal choice for users with limited shop space, especially if height is a serious constraint. The 4208 has the smallest overall “footprint” of the line. It is also the lightest, so taking the tool to a job site is not going to break the user’s back.
No experience necessary – Point to the 4208
Users with little or no experience using a drill press cannot go wrong with the 4208. It is a basic tool that lends itself to learning by doing. The caveat to this is that users may quickly outgrow the 4208’s capabilities and find themselves shopping for a drill press again.
User rating – Tie between the 4208 and 4214
Users rate the 4208 and 4214 equally at a 4.3. Interestingly enough, they also rank the 4210 and 4212 the same at 4.0. The takeaway here might be that the 4208 is the best for beginners with simple needs, with users leapfrogging the two intermediate models to grab the most machine for their money.
Quality of materials used in the tool – It’s a dead heat
The WEN bench-top drill press line can be characterized as rugged. It uses cast iron in the places where durability matters most, including the motor housing, the worktable, and the base. This adds weight to the tool, but that means increased stability and resistance to vibration while in use.
Customer service contact – Point to WEN
Most users report very positive experiences when contacting WEN customer service. They cite the positive attitude and responsive nature of the reps, with follow-up being prompt and accurate.
Quick Rundown of 4208
- Includes a 1/2-inch keyed chuck and onboard key storage
- Operates at 5 different speeds: 740, 1100, 1530, 2100, 3140 RPM
- Spindle travels up to 2 inches with easy to read, locking linear depth stops for accurate and...
Quick Rundown of 4210
- Includes: drill press, class II 1mW laser, 1/2" keyed chuck & key, tools for assembly
- Adjust between five speeds from 600 to 3100 RPM
- Spindle travel of 2-1/2” with easy to read, locking linear depth stop for accurate and repeatable...
Quick Rundown of 4212
- Spindle travel of 2-2/5 in. with easy to read, adjustable depth stop for accurate and repeatable...
- 8 in. x 7-2/3 in. cast iron worktable features rack and pinion height adjustment and bevels up to 45...
- Laser target your drilling operation marked with an X-pattern display
Quick Rundown of 4214
- Infinitely variable speed ranges from 580-3200 RPMS. Mechanical variable speed delivers equal torque...
- Spindle Travel of 3-1/8" with easy to read, locking linear depth stop for accurate and repeatable...
- Quill diameter of 2.17 inches. Durable 2/3hp induction motor develops ample torque and power. Motor:...
What the Users Say
People’s reviews after using their WEN drill presses generally show favorable reactions to their tools, regardless of the model purchased. Things most often noted include value for the dollar spent, the quality of the drill press construction, quiet and smooth operation, and providing the power necessary for their tasks. Where customer service contact is involved, most users rate WEN very highly.
The WEN line is not without its detractors. The most commonly reported issues include inadequate power, receiving units damaged during manufacturing, poor precision, and bad customer service.
Let’s wrap this review up with the question, “Which drill press is right for you?” Answer: “That depends.” Okay, that is a terrible answer from a review. If you have the money and space, always buy the most powerful tool you can. You will rarely regret buying more tool than you need, since you can grow into it. In this case, the winner is the 4214. You will be happy with how this drill press performs.
- What are the differences between them?
- Power – Point goes to the 4214
- Stock handling capacity – Point to the 4214
- Able to fit into small spaces – Point goes to the 4208
- No experience necessary – Point to the 4208
- User rating – Tie between the 4208 and 4214
- Quality of materials used in the tool – It’s a dead heat
- Customer service contact – Point to WEN
- Quick Rundown of 4208
- Quick Rundown of 4210
- Quick Rundown of 4212
- Quick Rundown of 4214
- What the Users Say